Sunday 24 March 2019

African Elephants for Zama...



... And Raphia. Finding time for the hobby recently has been difficult. When I have had the opportunity I have not always been in the right frame of mind to enjoy it. So I haven't been very productive but I have still been tinkering away. I am pleased to be able to update this blog finally.

With these 20mm Newline Designs African elephants I now have the elements for Zama with Lost Battles. They will be useful for Raphia also, Ptolemy's African elephants facing off against Antiochus' Indian elephants, which are currently being painted and will be the subject of the next post.

Featured here are the towered and untowered variants of the African elephants. Both came as a full body with separate head to attach. The tower was a single piece to be attached also. They came with one extra crew each but for ease of painting and assembling I left them out. I trimmed down the crest of the cloaked crewman to get the look I preferred.  


I undercoated them with guesso and kept the paint job as simple as possible. I Applied the usual brown wash before highlights and drybrushed the elephant and tower. On the untowered elephants I used Veni Vidi Vici transfers on the shields. Overall I am happy with the end result and can't wait to get them into action. It will however be a very long time for that opportunity to arise.

As a side note it's a shame that Google+ is gone along with the great comments and interactions with fellow hobbyists and enthusiasts. However there are many alternatives and social media platforms in which I have set up pages for this blog. If you are on any please check them out:

Twitter & Instagram Tone0685

I don't spend a great deal of time on Twitter and Instagram but facebook has seen quite a bit of growth in wargaming and miniature groups. As of late I have struggled to keep up with the hobby in general with various things getting in the way (good and bad). It's great seeing the inspiring work of fellow hobbyists and the satisfaction of completing some of the lead mountain (not to mention the plastic one!). I do need to spend more time doing hobby related things as it does help me feel better in general. Indian elephants should be posted fairly soon in one or two posts.

1/72 ancients

6 comments:

  1. the elephants are beautiful, a beautiful battle is coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific Painting and real cool looking bases. BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers BB! Glad you like them, the bases are a layer of unpainted jarvis desert sand and a layer of static grass. I went for ease and no painting!

      Delete
  3. Most impressive and splendid elephants, well done Tony!

    ReplyDelete