Sunday 5 January 2020

Hellenistic Infantry


I have been looking forward to the release of these brand new 20mm Newline Designs Hellenistic Infantry figures for some time! I was pleased that they ended up with 2 codes each with 3 poses, each code having a different helmet type. They are very versatile figures that can mix well with other codes for further variety and if you include head swap potential lots more variety can be achieved. An easy conversion option is always a simple shield swap. Macedonian shields to make them peltast type troops or even Roman scutums to make them hastily recruited raw legionaries from the Greek east! I am hoping the blog will show some of these potential units in the future. I ended up basing these as loose order foot.

With these painted up I will be moving back on with the variety of Hellenistic cavalry and infantry that are prepped and ready to paint for Magnesia and beyond! However as I mentioned in my previous post I haven't had an opportunity to fight Zama with Lost Battles, so Magnesia is not looking likely. So the aim is to set up quick playing Neil Thomas inspired wargame with gridded movement.

Before moving to the next project I want to try painting up the flip side of the vinyl tiles as featured in some of these photos. I think the patterned side might be alright as is, pale sandy arid looking side and the sticky side has been backed with plain paper which I hope to pull off a lush green battlefield. There's 15 to do for our 5'x3' table, and I have plenty spare to make terrain features down the line.

1/72 Ancients

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Thureophoroi, something certainly missing in 1/72 plastic !

    ReplyDelete