Sunday 18 February 2024

Philip II of Macedon



After spending time as a hostage in Thebes Philip would have seen the height of Theban power and undoubtedly took what he learned in his time their to make Macedonia what it became. Iphicratean hoplites, lighter equipment, smaller shields but longer spears, easier and cheaper to equip, and the lessons of the Theban column inspired Philip to take his poor countrymen and create a infantry backbone that would dominate the eastern Mediterranean for the next few centuries. With this Macedonian Phalanx his son Alexander was able to become "Great".  

I was inspired to make this simple conversion when I got hold of the 20mm Gladiator set from Newline Designs, it featured a gladiator with a head that could pass as the Macedon King! I simply used the body of Newline Alexander much like Ptolemy to achieve what I wanted. Then it became a simple one for one head swap, the counter figure with Alexander's head became Tigris of Gaul. The only other addition was the creation of the sword, a squished bristle trimmed and shaped into a blade.

I also got hold of a backscene for model railway, the hope was to find something suitable for the ancient world, so these Welsh hills seem ideal. The odd modern build is easy to cover. I'm hoping to employ them for in game photos also.   

"My son ask for thyself another kingdom
For that which I leave is too small for thee"

4 comments:

  1. Nice paintwork! Especially like your leopardskin pattern. Always good to have Philip model, though I might be a bit one eyed on that score...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Aaron! Yes, one day I'd like to do Chaeronea I like the old Hoplite Polis vs new Macedonian phalanx. Well Philip and Alexander are done jus the rest of the army needed!

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! Like, Aaron, I like the leopard skin saddlecloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan! I was pleased how it turned out took a couple of attempts.

      Delete