Thursday 25 April 2019

Clad in Gold and Silver


A return to updating 'old' units. This time Newline Designs 20mm Seleucid Cataphracts. With the focus on Hellenistics, in particular the forces for Magnesia, it seemed like a good time to sort out the old and part done units. The Cataphracts were finished but they were dark and dull, they really needed brightend up and some colour before rebasing. 

I dry/over brushed the horses armour and highlighted the bronze armour of the riders with Vallejo paint. I then just had a general tidying, highlight of the figures. I re-painted the spears and added a bit of variety of what could be seen of the horses as well as painting the trims of the horse armour red. After rebasing to my current format I finally felt that these were now finished and I am satisfied with them.

In Lost Battles game terms they can represent 2 units of Average Cataphracts or 1 unit of Levies (or even 4 veteran units). I need then 4 x more bases for Magnesia in which Antiochus has 1 levy and 2 average cataphracts. These are the only Seleucid Cataphracts I have so I will have to use Parthians or Seleucid Companions as proxies, probably will go for the latter! I am now working on some Thureophoroi.

Still no refight of Zama on the horizon! However the gaming aspects of the hobby is never far from thought. I quite often work on some home brew ideas but I still fancy giving To the Strongest! a go too.


1/72 Ancients

6 comments:

  1. Wow, they give an impression of power

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Borodino! I bet they were an intimidating sight although all that armour would make them tire quickly.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive Tony! That is one solid looking unit. Really like how you've painted all the armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin got to admit that I depend on the crisp Newline Detail and the science of acrylic washes. Thanks for looking!

      Delete