Tuesday 19 March 2024

Mithridates VI


I had never heard of the Kingdom of Pontus until I had played Rome Total War again I was fascinated, they were a faction that had both Hellenistic and Eastern style units and Roman imitation Legions. I soon learned of Mithridates VI who was a constant thorn in Rome's side. I read Philip Matyszak's Mithridates the Great: Rome's Indomitable Enemy over a decade ago and there are not many characters of the Ancient world much like the Poison King. Mithridates would take a very small amount of fatal poisons, making himself very ill of course, in turn building up a tolerance against poisons. Another favourite anecdote was how the paranoid king hid under a couch to eavesdrop and uncover a plot against him. His Kingdom gave Rome some trouble across three wars also so I felt that I had to create a 20mm version of him.

There is a bust believed to be Mithridates showing him as Herakles with the lion pelt cap, along with presenting himself as an Alexander type character and as a grandson of Antiochus IV Epiphanes I tried to combine aspects of these heritages. I used Newline Designs 20mm Kappadochian Cavalry Commander with Alexander the Great's Lion helmeted head and horse with Leopard pelt to create the King.

I haven't yet made any specific Pontic forces yet or their late Republican Roman enemies, but many of the Seleucid units and mid Republican Romans can do the job just as well. I do have plans to make some Pontic units basically in the form of pikemen and legions in a different paint scheme. Like wise I have Late Republican Romans in stock for down the line. However my goal currently is to finish the stuff for Lost Battles Magnesia (just archers left to rebase) and then move onto working towards Raphia, with Strength & Honour Skirmisher markers to knock up as well. With mainly having Punic wars stuff done I was fancying fighting a solo Punic wars campaign, possibly with Strength & Honour as I feel like that is a set of rules that will lend itself brilliantly to resolving campaign battles (once I have practiced more and I am competent with it).  





 

2 comments:

  1. A striking model of a striking fellow. Certainly an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete