Monday 11 March 2024

Velites skirmisher markers


I decided after playing Strength & Honour a few times that if I were to play 1 x 80mm base per unit, that it would be handy to have some individually mounted figures to show the presence of attached skirmishers. I've done this already for some rebased units with the spare figures that couldn't make up a full 6 man base. Also as I generally play via gridded games the individual bases wouldn't impact rules if they were to be used as a multi base.

I enjoyed making individual character as well out of these 20mm Newline Designs Roman Velites. The pack comes with 4 variations of velites and crucially not all are presented with the famous wolf pelt. The 2 velites in helmets and the bare headed skirmisher in a cloak apart from being useful for other armies allowed me to do some simple head swaps for a bit more variety. Below is a few examples of those swaps and 1 also has a sword that was shaped out of a crushed bristle that I use for spears.

I'm hoping to get some posts up soon of another ancient character I made and some Iberian warriors. I'm currently trying to power through another 2 bases of Iberians in the hope to set up a solo Lost Battles game and playing the Ilipa scenario in time for the Society of Ancients Battle Day. 

6 comments:

  1. They're looking as smart as ever mate. Well done 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to add some extra flexibility to your armies / rules. And they look very good as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aaron! Just got to get through all of the various light troops :-D

      Delete
  3. Beaut figures with plenty of character Tony. Love the conversions and resulting variety.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James hoping to do more conversions down the line!

      Delete