This is an updated unit of Tarantine cavalry based on a "finished" unit of Newline Designs 20mm Tarantine Cavalry code with their Greek light cavalry code. The Greek light cavalry are easily converted into Tarantines simply by adding a shield. In addition I added a spare Macedonian mounted musician and a few Maccabean light cavalry for some cloaked riders. Using a variety of shields and head swaps the unit now has a motley appearance.
There are any amount of helmet styles in the Newline catalogue for even more variety if needed. I'm sure some of the other cavalry codes would be suitable for Tarantines depending on how armoured or varied you would want them to be.
I spent a bit more time introducing various coloured tunics into the painted and unpainted figures. Also with the shields, some hand painted designs, some waterslide transfers and some a hybrid. The hybrid ones used the bronze base and black dolphin designs which were simply painted over. In addition there is also some spined Celtic type shields and some cast with a horse design enbossed (from the Early Roman Hoplite code).
With the head swapping I took a shortcut, which I paid for in damaged heads! My cheat method is to twist and shear the heads off. I have had success with this in the past when I was twisting them to add variety to head positions and accidentally took a head off! In this instance though and even with aid of a well padded hobby vice some heads got a bit squished. I should have learnt from my Hannibal on foot conversion but nevermind I'll use my diamond saw next time. A couple of helments were slightly damaged not too bad but some of the bare heads were mangled one beyond saving and now has a spare Carthaginian elephant crew head. The other was converted into an injured rider with a rudimentary field dressing.
Overall I am pleased with the results and I will have to do more pick n mix units. I already have one planned using various pikemen offered by Newline. However I have a few more things to crack through before them. Busy working through some Persian slingers to top up a unit I finished a couple of years ago so they are likely to be the next post! Below I have quite a few pics to highlight the variety within the unit: