Sunday 7 May 2023

Generals and Rabbles

A bit of a mixed bag with this post. Firstly the Roman generals, which feature a quid pro quo head swap of a Newline Designs 20mm mounted General and a foot command officer figure, which gives me a few more unique characters!   

Secondly, we have a few light infantry bases. While sorting out the rebasing I came upon a box of miniatures that had yet to be based containing Roman Leves and Greek Javelinmen. I had 32 of each painted up as I was initially making light foot units in multiples of 4. With changing this to 6 figure bases, I decided on 4 x 6 man base and the remaining 8 figures to be based individually.

The individual figures are hopefully for Strength & Honour. The few games I've played so far used 4 base per unit and with the large unit size I manage to fudge skirmish bases with the 6 man light foot bases. However for larger battles or for fitting on a smaller table space I would need another solution. With these battles one 80mm base will represent one unit therefore making the grid smaller and the battle field divided into more squares. So for representing units with skirmish lines I thought individual figures would do the job as skirmishers markers, I could use as many or few as I had or wanted (see below). Furthermore with my preference for gridded wargames the individually based figures can be units in their own right without the different format impacting the rules.    

Roman Officers;
Greek Javelinmen;

Skirmishers markers;
Leves;
Skirmisher markers;

The skirmisher markers arrayed with the legionary base, a couple of potential formats for Strength & Honour:
                                                                       1/72 ancients  1:72


No comments:

Post a Comment