Sunday 6 December 2020

Hannibal's African Veterans Rebase


The latest rebased unit of Newline Designs 20mm African veterans. I have quite a lot of these figures they come as swords and spear wielders advancing but I split them off into separate units. I also have the Veterans standing I might reserve them for Hellenistic armies in which they will get Carthaginan command figures swapped out for some more Macedonian command figures.

I popped these on 80mm bases but I plan to represent Veteran heavy infantry in Lost Battles on a 40mm frontage to represent their smaller numbers and half a point towards that squares attack. So the white shielded veteran spearmen are earmarked for 40mm bases and these can be a generic heavy infantry or legionary type unit for To the Strongest! or Impetus.

Things are a bit up in the air and chaotic at home so the hobby has suffered and I think next year will have a bit of upheaval. I am slowly and leisurely painting a few Warhammer 40k Tallarn Desert Raiders then I will probably work through the backlog of half painted ancients before undertaking anymore rebasing. However I have rebased my mounted generals which will be posted next.


 

8 comments:

  1. Your African vets look great, Tony! I am a big fan of Newline Designs' figures. Hope the family upheaval is mild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan hopefully we'll get sorted early next year and the paint can flow more freely! I love your work on your Newline Biblicals and your blog is inspirational overall!

      Delete
  2. Excellent job! I admire your rebasing, I'm still at the previous stage, basing, and not very motivated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, yes its been tough keeping going with it got a few more bases waiting to be finished then need to start unbasing cavalry and light infantry.

      Delete
  3. These look stunning, Tony. I really like the 80mm bases that you're going for, and the thicker size. I've often thought about using 3mm bases for some of my own projects, but always seem to stick with 2mm. I can see how thicker bases would be easier to handle though - and they look good, too. Great work as always. Every time I see part of your ancients collection it makes me want to dive in and start my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kevin! Yes a combination of dropping and bases warping (my fault for taking shortcuts) was a bit of aa push to go for 3mm wasn't sure about it till the black edges were done then I settled with it!

      Why not dip your toe in janurary sale coming up :-D

      Delete
    2. I'm giving that toe-dipping some serious consideration with the Jan sale now on. I have most of the C&C:Ancients block games and have always wanted to try playing some of them with miniatures. Question is...which armies to go with? Macedonians, Greeks, Persians, Indians are all very tempting. I can't decide!

      Delete
    3. Go for it Kevin! 😀 My personal favorite out of those are Macedonians you can add a few Greeks into their ranks quite interchangeably for the most part. Of course you would need an enemy then 😂 a good excuse for Persians or more Greeks/Macedonians 😁

      Delete