Monday 14 March 2022

Late Roman Auxillia


A couple more codes painted up from Newline Designs 1/72 Late Roman range. This time the two Auxillia codes. I was quite pleased with the "white" tunics, I used Vallejo Beige, Citadel sepia wash followed by highlight of Beige, then I introduced Vallejo Ivory into the mix which I blended on the wet palette untill I had the desired shade. I didn't use straight Ivory like I planned but I liked the finish. I tend to apply a basecoat, wash and highlight in the original colour but since moving to a wet palette I have found mixing shades satifying and end up with a more pleasing and subtle highlight, aided by the fact that its an extra level of highlight. Just to note the swordsman came with a spear but the angle of the forearm was crying for a sword which a made out of plastic card.


Auxillia Advancing




Auxillia Standing



Altogether the two codes work well with each other: 

8 comments:

  1. i just popped over from 'Benno's figure forum.'
    Real cool painting style,i liked the painted spot on the tunics! BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers BB thanks for taking the time to visit the blog also! You have just reminded me that I was meant to point out that the embroidery patches are sculpted on details.

      Delete
  2. A very good paintjob on a subject, that came into my mind too since I read the Legionary series from Gordon Doherty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Use, I enjoy historical fiction but I have trouble finding time to read, hopefully I'll have a chance this summer to finally finish Clash of Empires!

      Delete
  3. Excellent painted figures and I like the colors very much!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm pleased with this combination of colours!

      Delete