Friday 3 February 2023

Celts, Gauls, Galatians, Call them what you will!


The Gauls were the latest contingent to get the rebase treatment. Quite a lot of them were painted about a decade ago, and as with previous rebases, I tried to rebase as many as possible then work out what I need to add to the units to sort them into their new bases. I took an overall stock of my Gallic soldiers as Newline Designs have quite a few codes and each code has quite a bit variety (which I haven't full shown here). From there I decided that I would, as best as possible, to make up units of similarly dressed and equipped troops. Thinking that for example, the warriors in tunics could represent troops fighting in colder conditions while the nobles in their mail could fight together. In this way the better armed and armoured troops will be at the front while warriors in helmets can fall in behind them. A few totally unarmoured warriors were painted also and the remaining unpainted Gauls that are equipped in that way were put aside for now. However 11 bases were made up here and for now that will provide more than enough bases for the Punic wars. I really need to set up some kind of battle as it is well overdue! Time is an issue as ever so maybe a simple One Hour Wargames inspired game may do for now we'll see how things go (I always go for painting). 

After basing up the older painted warriors I think I had roughly 55 warriors to paint in various levels of armour. I did try to mass paint them as much as possible and while the flesh could all be done across the board I had to break up the batch into smaller more manageable groups to provide a variety of outfit colours. Where I grouped similar poses and equipment types together I brought variety in through colours and patterns on the clothes and shields. Because of this I have attempted to show as much as possible with the many pictures below. The figures are lovely and its great to get such variety in 20mm figures.

The Velites are also complete and had some pictures taken along with these after hitting on a bright winter's day. I will hopefully get them posted up soon also especially with Newline having a 25% off sale on at the time of writing. I have already started working on rebasing the Iberians and elephants, the Iberians needing some additional command figures and I'll also be painting up a few more bases worth.   

4 comments:

  1. Good looking units with a nice variety of shield designs and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I was dreading the shields but doing so many at once across many bases I was able to paint about 5 of each colour, making things easier!

      Delete
  2. Great work, Tony. They certainly look the part on those big bases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron, I'm enjoying the aesthetics of the large bases got to get them on the table!

      Delete