Monday 22 March 2021

Syrian Legions Rebased

Another unit has passed through the rebase process and now these 20mm Newline Designs African veterans masquerading as Syrian legionaries or Romanised Silvershields are just about done. I'm still not quite sorted with the base colour I may dry brush the exposed sandy earth bits as they are a bit too yellow still. Again it looks closer with the naked eye but I think I need to rework the base colour of the sandy earth so I'm working on toning down the yellow into my mix.

these were a bit of a challenge to rebase. the sabots of the rank and file were quite deep but the ready mixed filler was a big help I feel at least that is a big time saver for the rebasing in general. I was going to leave these as flat base coated filler with static grass but I may as mentioned above apply a light dry brushing of one of the creamy colours.

I'm looking forward to getting these on the battlefield, the late Seleucids don't really have any armies featring these under Lost Battles (yet!) but they will be a useful addition to a Pompeian army to take on Caesar's veterans. Of course both Late Seleucids and Late Republican Romans are miles away from usable armies, especially with the rebase mission which will ultimately focus on getting the Mid Republican Roman and 2nd Punic war Carthaginians ready to re fight some Lost Battles again. Also a long way off! 

Next I'll be finishing off the rebase of my blue shielded Hannibalic War African infantry. These should be more straight forward than this batch once I've remixed my basing paint. Until then they're might be the odd rambling or musing post if I get a chance.  


6 comments:

  1. Your rebasing project is progressing very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel like I'm getting somewhere, loads more to get through but I feel like I'm getting tge hang of the new style!

      Delete
  2. loads more ? How many figures do you have ? A high level of painting on these Ancients, and their new bases make them even more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, my wife would say too many and I would be fooling myself to disagree 😂 still all the Romans, Celts and Iberians to do.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful to be introduced to your blog; these look fantastic Tony!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete