Wednesday 10 March 2021

Thureophoroi Again, Rebased


The latest rebased units and the brown tunic wearing Thureophoroi's hat trick post. I used a ready mixed pot of filler to do the ground work which is simply painted and then dry brushed when dried. Then a few applications of static grass to finish. Ready mixed filler made the process was a lot more straight forward although its awkward with the figures being close together which just comes with the territory. 

The pictures show the the painted filler as an almost totally different colour however the base colour is well matched to the sandy areas on the cloth. I think its just the angles and materials bouncing the light off. These photo shoots are always haphazard and done on the fly and the photos have been edited to attempt to compensate for the poor lighting conditions. I forgot to crop the top picture but it looks like a dusty day from a storm or marching armies!

Next on the bench are more rebases that are ready for the ground work. Currently I have 5 bases of Seleucid legionaries and 4 bases of Carthaginian African Spearmen its going to be a bit of a grueller but that will be the part rebased units done for now. Debasing will start after the hopeful move and I have 2 part painted cavalry units that need finished, I'm sure these will be more than enough to keep me busy till then.

These rebases have had some 32 man units reduce down to 24 man units in some cases which is leaving me with spare painted figures. I'm still working out what to do with them but I'm sure I'll reform most of them into a full base one day, some might need a command set or combine with other spares or possibly become an elite or light unit with less figures per base needed. I'm just rambling now because I can't face faffing with the filler! ;-)


9 comments:

  1. Well I like them....both colors are pleasing with the white shields. And the first picture captures how fantastic 48 of them look together...those new line 20mm do look impressive in mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! One of the things I love about Newline is they make great units when ranked up and are priced well enough for that to be feasible.

      Delete
  2. Nice..... both colors are pleasing with the white shields. And that first pic captures how well Newline can look in mass together....very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking unit, you're a master regarding Ancients! The Thureophoroi are a missing reference in 1/72 plastic, I hope some manufacturer like Linear will produce some one day.
    Oh, and very nice background for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! I think Linear A will fill that gap, looking at their future Seleucid and Ptolemaic sets and as a supporter of ancient miniatures I will get them :-)

      Delete