Sunday 10 April 2022

Goth Infantry


I worked on a few of each code of Newline Designs 1/72 20mm Goth infantry. There is quite a bit of variety of figures and I wanted to give them individual paint schemes so the bench was covered in tones of paint bottles and it was slow going getting the basecoat done but once that was cracked they were soon done. I aimed for more drab and natural looking colours for the clothes and bright colours for the shields.


Goth Command


Goths Standing


Goths Advancing


Goth Archers


The tunic and capped Goths figures look like line drawings from Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome fig. 109 which shows Saxon infantry so they can be used for them also. Overall these codes will make great generic "Dark Age" warriors, at least Germanic cultures. By head swapping figures, such as Late Roman legionaries, and even adding a few legionaries in as better armoured warriors,  you can easily increase the potential variation even more to create a varied and pleasing warband. 


10 comments:

  1. The figures look great with their variety of colours. Time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Tony. Very effective and will be useful figures. Did you have rules in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aaron! Still debating that one, I'm quite intreagued by "Dark Age Infantry Slog" and some other great free rules, I have Neil Thomas AMW or even trusty Lost Battles but lots of models to do for the era before that... I really want to get cracking with Magnesia!

      Delete
  3. Looking good, Tony! I like the variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johnathan I'm pleased with the colours but I wasn't at the time all them bottles clogging up the desk :-D

      Delete
  4. Wonder- and colorfull painted figures!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fine again. Those shields are marvellous.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James I've just finished the last Late Roman codes so I'm hoping to get cracking again with the Lost Battles Magnesia Project!

      Delete