Monday 19 September 2022

Napoleonic Austrians, logistics and the Reality of Waging War in Miniature

 

EDIT: These have all been put up FOR SALE click here for details


Whilst searching though my boxes I came across some primed up Napoleonic Austrian "German" Infantry in 20mm from Newline Designs. I quite fancied a change of era so painted up another unit and based up the Grenzers. Then with the fleece mat and camera phone I wanted some better pictures for my Austrians as a whole. 

The older German Infantry have a more grubby look in compared to the newest finished unit, who look decidedly fresh and crisp. One veteran and one conscript unit I thought, being some of the choices for  the Austrians under Sam Mustafa's Blucher rules, that being the potential ruleset for the project. Also involved where some Styrian Landwehr, I always loved the look of this militia in their oberocks and floppy hats! It was great seeing the army so far. 

However there are still loads to get through for the Austrians and then there are their opponents to do! I am struggling to get regular battles set up for my main ancients project so what chance does my Napoleonics project (and the myriad of others) have? The logistics of the whole thing was quite overwhelming, it was time to accept reality. Aside from painting the odd unit I fancy, I realistically will not manage to use these miniatures in a wargame, so why keep them? 

I'm still thinking on this, I don't like parting with miniatures but they won't get used here so watch this space if you are inclined to procure painted miniatures.


Styrian Lanwehr


Veteran Infantry



Grenzers


Conscipts

2 comments: